Monday, March 3, 2014

South Africa

Each time I take a work trip I try and squeeze in an extra day to explore the country I am visiting.  Last week I found myself back in both Pretoria and Port Elizabeth, South Africa.  The flight from China is not easy requiring 18 to 20 hours total travel with a layover in Honk Kong of 6 hours.  Upon arriving in Hong Kong for my layover, instead of sitting in the Business Lounge all that time, I often will take the Airport Express train to downtown and just visit the city.  This visit I decided to spend sometime on the waterfront and take in what has been named the most beautiful skyline in the world as far as major cities goes.


While in Pretoria I decided to hire a driver for the day and visit a few places.  First I started with a visit to the Ann Van Dyk Cheetah Center.  Started in 1971 by a women who has devoted her life to saving the Cheetah species.  It is here that they breed endangered species (including the Cheetah and Wild Dog), promote public awareness, and reestablish endangered species to the areas of origination.   At the center I was able to see a Cheetah run (the fastest land animal reaching 74 mph), have a photo opportunity, and tour the other animals within the center.






After my morning above, we drove to Hartebeespoort Dam area to shop for African Art at Cameleon Village and Country Market.  There were a few specific pieces of South African Art that we wanted for our home back in Michigan which I was able to easily find and negotiate a fare price.


Following a few hours of shopping I traveled to Ukutula Lion Park and Lodge.  I started my afternoon at the lodge with the rare opportunity of holding some Lion cubs (six weeks old)!


After meeting the six month old cubs I then got to interact with the larger six month old Lions.



Next we tour the caged Lions for obvious reasons as they were a little to big after that!



To conclude my visit I went on a Lion walk for one hour through the bush with two male Lions.  This gave me an opportunity to see them in their natural habitat and get some great photos!






During the work week I travel to the southern point of Africa, Port Elizabeth.  I did not have much time to explore this visit however I did take some pictures in the evening as my hotel was on the coast.  Very beautiful and windy area!





















No comments:

Post a Comment